Saturday, May 28, 2011

A week of being solidly middle class

We left East Wind on Thursday morning, much to my dismay.  The upside is that we are hanging out at my dad's in St. Louis for a week before the East Winders come and pick us back up.  (By the way EW - we're still needing someone to call and confirm that for us!!)  I haven't got to spend much time with my pops in a while, so he's really excited to get to see us and hang out with Iz, in particular.  Me and Mac are just a sideshow attraction anymore. 

Our families have been remarkably supportive (with a notable exception or two) despite the fact that they don't really understand what we're doing.  Luckily, we've managed to convince (most of) them that we aren't running off to join a cult.  Mostly, they see us and hear us and know that we are happy, that we are optimistic about the future, and we feel like we belong.  For (many of) them, that is the only goal, all they want for us.  (Well, I'm sure my dad would be happy if we stopped asking him for money every few months.)

So, I'm sitting in the suburbs, laptop on my lap, giant TV with 957,346 channels of nothing to watch, basement with another huge TV, spare room, all the bells and whistles.  I'm bored as hell.  There are no baby goats (OMG SO CUTE) no chicks with baby bats in their dreadlocks, no party at the next house.  I don't have to run up the path to poo, and there's climate control, so those things are nice.  But being here has reminded me of how much I don't want this.  I've seen like...three people outside all day.  WTF?  It wasn't even that hot out today.

This just isn't me anymore.  If it ever was.  I need connections, I need to know that the person next to me or across the table gives a shit.  I need to know that what I do contributes to the greater good.  At East Wind I feel that way.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear what's going on with you! I'm sorry you're not having a great time in the suburbs. You know what always make me feels better when I'm in the city? Dumpster diving. Lol.

    I don't know who is picking you up, but if you still don't know soon, I will ask Ruth. Maybe I could, actually. I am on the insurance. I don't really like driving, though, but don't worry. I am sure someone will pick you up.

    I laughed when I read that your family thinks East Wind is a cult.

    I am glad you like it here.

    Hey, if you stay and keep your blog going, it can get added to the FEC website. Mine just got put on there.

    Thanks for writing, and hope to see you back here soon!
    Wren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I enjoy reading your site! Is it okay to contact your through your email? Please email me back.

    Thanks!

    Cailyn
    cailynxxx gmail.com

    ReplyDelete